2019 Historic Homes Tour

Natchez, established in 1716, high on a magnificent bluff overlooking the Mighty Mississippi, has more than 600 examples of Antebellum Architecture. During our Pilgrimage seasons more privately owned historic homes open their doors than any other time of the year. Natchez is treasured worldwide as a living museum of southern history and a hallmark of hospitality.

March 16, 20, 24, 28
April 1, 5, 9, 13

March 17, 21, 25, 29
April 2, 6, 10, 14

March 18, 22, 26, 30
April 3, 7, 11, 15

March 19, 23, 27, 31
April 4, 8, 12, 16

 

MUSEUM HOUSES
Open Daily 9am – 5pm

Longwood 1860 - 1861

140 Lower Woodville Rd.

  • The largest octagonal house in America
  • Construction was halted by the Civil War
  • Original Furnishings and tools intact
  • National Historic Landmark

Stanton Hall 1857

  • Palatial Greek Revival antebellum residence
  • Furnished with period antiques and original Stanton Family pieces
  • Delicate arched millwork in hall and parlors
  • National Historic Landmark

Rosalie 1820

  • Located on the Mississippi River bluff near the site of the massacre of the Natchez Indians
  • Union headquarters during the Civil War
  • National Historic Landmark

MOVIES & ARCHITECTURE TOUR (PURPLE)
March 16, 20, 24, 28 & April 1, 5, 9, 13 | Mornings 9:00 am – 12:30pm

Longwood 1860 - 1861

140 Lower Woodville Rd.

  • The largest octagonal house in America
  • Construction was halted by the Civil War
  • Original Furnishings and tools intact
  • National Historic Landmark

Hawthorne 1814

23 Hawthorne Pl. at Lower Woodville Rd.

  • Four identical elliptical fanlight doorways
  • Magnificent live oaks and park like grounds
  • Family heirlooms and Natchez-made antiques

Elms Court 1837 • 1853

542 John R. Junkin Dr. ~ The MacNeil Family

  • Elaborate ironwork and original furnishings
  • Terraced gardens with heirloom flora
  • Remains of 1850s residential gas works

LEGACY TOUR (GREEN)
March 16, 20, 24, 28 & April 1, 5, 9, 13 | Afternoons 1:30 pm – 5:00pm

The Gardens 1794

35 Cemetery Road
Dr. & Mrs. Fred Emrick

  • Built as a summer retreat for Spanish Territorial Governor Stephen Minor
  • Served as a Federal hospital during the Civil War
  • Occupied by the same family since 1881​

Green Leaves 1838

303 S. Rankin St. at Washington St. ~ The Beltzhoover Family

  • All original furnishings and family memorabilia
  • Lush grounds and gardens
  • Occupied by descendants of the Koontz-Beltzhoover family since 1849
  • Documented early camellia collection

Richmond 1784 • 1832 • 1860

31 Government Fleet Road ~ The John Shelby Marshall Family

  • Original furnishings
  • Occupied by Marshall family since 1832
  • French Plantation, Colonial, and Greek Revival architectures

DECORATIVE ARTS TOUR (PEACH)
March 17, 21, 25, 29 & April 2, 6, 10, 14 | Mornings 9:00 am – 12:30pm

Lansdowne 1853

17 Marshall Road ~ The Marshall Family

  • Occupied by descendants of the original builder; on land owned by family since the 1780’s
  • Original furnishings
  • Original Zuber wallpaper

Shields Town House 1860

701 N. Union St. 

The William Samuel Perkins Family

  • Beautiful gardens and courtyard
  • Exquisitely furnished with period antiques
  • Last fine town house built before Civil War

Routhland 1817

131 Winchester Road ~ The Charles E. Ratcliffe Family

  • Built as a Federal cottage and is on a portion of original Routh grant
  • Residence of Civil War Brigadier General Charles Clark, 24th Governor of Mississippi
  • Magnificent live oaks

TOWN & COUNTRY TOUR (BLUE)
March 16, 20, 24, 28 & April 1, 5, 9, 13 | Afternoons 1:30 pm – 5:00pm

Magnolia Hall 1858

215 S. Pearl St. at Washington St.
The Natchez Garden Club

  • Greek Revival style building
  • Historic clothing museum on the second floor
  • Also know as the Henderson-Britton house

Pleasant Hill 1811 - 1832

310 S. Pearl St. at Orleans St. ~ Mr. & Mrs. John Bergeron

  • Built by cotton merchant, planter John Henderson
  • Was moved in the mid-1850s one block south, using log rollers,
    in order for son Thomas Henderson to build Magnolia Hall
  • Expansive back gallery and gardens

Brandon Hall 1856

Natchez Trace, Mile Marker 9 at Brandon Hall Rd.
Mr. &Mrs. John Kaiser Harris

Built by Gerard Brandon, son of first native-born governor of Mississippi
Stately Greek Revival, formerly a working plantation
Site of the Natchez Trace Parkway inauguration ceremony

ARCHITECTURAL TRANSITIONS TOUR (PINK)
March 18, 22, 26, 30 & April 3, 7, 11, 15 | Mornings 9:00 am – 12:30pm

Auburn 1812

400 Duncan Avenue at Auburn Avenue
City of Natchez

  • Home of the first Mississippi Attorney General
  • Established this style of columned portico in the South
  • Freestanding spiral staircase
  • National Historic Landmark

Linden 1800

1 Conner Circle ~ The Feltus Family

  • Occupied by the same family since 1849
  • Richly detailed Federal doorway
  • All windows open to gracious front and back galleries
  • This tour is not available during December

Airlie 1790

9 Elm St. ~ The Freiberger Family 

  • Used as Federal hospital during Union occupation of Natchez 
  • Preserved rough hewn beams, fireplaces, and small paned windows
  • Built during the Spanish period

NATCHEZ STORIES TOUR (ORANGE)
March 18, 22, 26, 30 & April 3, 7, 11, 15 | Mornings 9:00 am – 12:30pm

Elgin 1792 • 1840 • 185

 1 Elgin Plantation Rd. at Dunbar Rd. The Calhoun Family

  • Quintessential plantation home on 25 acres
  • Informal gardens in a graceful setting
  • Tour follows Dr. Jenkins’ diary kept from 1841 to 1855

D'Evereux

160 D’evereux Drive ~ Mr. & Mrs. Bruce Coons

• One of Americas most outstanding Greek Revival homes
• The Sourcebook of American Architecture names D’Evereux a “must see”
• Forested with moss-laden native Live Oaks, magnolias and more
• Undergoing period restoration with new ownership

LIVING HISTORY TOUR (YELLOW)
March 19, 23, 27, 31 & April 4, 8, 12, 16 | Mornings 9:00 am – 12:30pm

Ellicott Hill 1798

211 N. Canal St. ~ The Natchez Garden Club

  • Also known as Connelly’s Tavern
  • The American flag was raised here in 1797 by Andrew Ellicott in defiance of Spain
  • House is in the West Indies style
  • Last remaining 18th century Merchants house on Canal Street

The Towers 1798 • 1826 • 1858 • 2018

801 Myrtle Ave. ~ Ginger & James Hyland

• Original towers, missing for 90 years, newly restored
• Rare collections and furnishings usually not seen outside of museums
• Beautiful Sculpture Gardens on 5 acres
• Headquarters for Union Army during the Civil War
• Decorative Arts Tour (ORDER NOW)
• Paranormal Tour (ORDER NOW)

Governor Holmes House 1794

207 S. Wall St. ~ The Cates Family

• The home of David Holmes, first elected governor of Mississippi
• One of the few surviving residences from Natchez’s Spanish period
• Original brick-between-post construction, and picturesque courtyard with original cisterns

COLLECTIONS TOUR (RED)
March 19, 23, 27, 31 & April 4, 8, 12, 16 | Mornings 9:00 am – 12:30pm

The Burn 1832

712 N. Union St. ~ The Green Family

• One of Natchez’s most significant purely Greek Revival homes
• Terraced gardens with over 100 heirloom camellias and azaleas
• Setting for the novel Pilgrimage, A Tale of Old Natchez

Wine and Tour $20. Tickets only available through Natchez Pilgrimage Tours.

Choctaw Hall 1836

310 N. Wall St. ~ David P. Garner & Lee Glover

  • Transitional Style from Federal to Greek Revival
  • Furnished with William IV and Early American Empire
  • Collections of signed Jacob Petit French Porcelain and Family Silver
  • Exceptional late-Federal staircase