Skip to primary navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
  • Spring Pilgrimage 2023!


Quick Details

Adult Ages 13+
Child Ages 12 & under


The main part of Elgin was built by Dr. John Carmichael Jenkins, who in 1839 married Annis Dunbar of the Forest plantation, a nearby plantation first settled by William Dunbar of Scotland. Annis insisted that Jenkins purchased Elgin, since the property once belonged to her family and adjoined The Forest plantation. Elgin was named after William Dunbar’s birthplace in Scotland.

  • Graceful stairway in the center hall with cherry newel posts, rails, and turned balusters
  • Furnished with American and English antiques and oriental rugs
  • Main feature of the dining room is a punkah suspended above the table
  • Beautiful original woodwork throughout the home